At 5/27/2005 11:43 AM, David W. Fenton wrote:

>But PICT is a bitmapped graphics format, no? That means it's not an
>entirely new class of format to support it.

Actually, it's a substantially OLD Mac format, but us Window's developers have to support it ;-)

>Microsoft is a problem for small software makers like MakeMusic, who
>get caught in the middle of competing standards.

Actually, Microsoft is a problem for large software makers as well. Any company that "extends" the standards is a problem.

Other small software makers cause us problems by extending the "standard", so then their software is the only one who supports their "supposedly" standard files that they create.

This is a really huge issue for images of maps, not the actual "look" of the file, but the "coordinates" where it is supposed to reside.

But, I will agree that the "standard" file problem is, "If you have to submit changes to a committee, then it will be years before you can upgrade the file format."

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley