On 07 Jun 2005, at 3:36 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Also, XCode has a checkbox that allows the developer to choose between PowerPC, Intel or both.

Karen,

I doubt Coda has even looked at Xcode yet -- I strongly suspect they are still using Metroworks Codewarrior, despite repeated stern warnings from Apple that this is a Very Bad Idea.

Hi Darcy,

I am in total agreement with you when it comes to Coda and issues with the new Intel chips...though it does give me some comfort based on your later post that the developer(s) is(are) familiar with XCode. And I continue to try to err on the side of optimism...

But those developers who have been keeping up with Apple, and therefore X Code, have been working in a way that, as Brad again pointed out, "According to Steve Jobs, OSX has been
living a "secret double life" for its entire existence, with Intel
builds as far back as OSX 10.0. "

This is in fact true. So, from Apple's standpoint, they have been running on both chips for many years. I think that using Motorola chips has held Apple back...and I think that Steve Jobs has been looking to get away from Motorola...hence, making sure everything runs on both chip sets...now he is able to move away from Motorola.

Finale will have to be first ported to Xcode before anyone can even begin to think about recompiling for Intel. This is, from what I've been able to figure out, not a trivial task by any means.

Yup! I agree...I hope Coda has at least a couple of developers with their arses pl anted in chairs up in San Fran....

I don't know if Coda has written code that is specifically written to a specific type of processor or not (which wouldn't be a wise thing)...but most developers will simply have to do a recompile to add the Intel chip.

Not according to Steve. Even developpers who have been using Xcode instead of Codewarrior have (best-case-scenario) weeks of work ahead of them, _pace_ the Mathematica demo given during the Keynote. Keep in mind, this is aside from any MIDI issues -- Hiro has been saying MIDI backwards compatibility isn't even possible. I really, really, really hope that's not the case.

I can't imagine a company, that produces a product such as Logic Audio for instance, that has come up with such a great way to handle midi (Core Audio) would drop the ball in such a huge way!! I know that midi setup etc. is WAY better in OS X than it was in OS 9. Step back for a minute and remember Steve Jobs isn't stupid. I'm not saying that the road won't have it's bumps...but again...this move has been in the works for a long time.

Not a big deal. I think issues will be easier than moving from 68K to PowerPC for sure.

That strikes me as optimistic beyond all reason.

I disagree...I've been in touch with folks that are sitting in classes up in San Francisco as we speak (O.K....they actually may be sampling really good Tequila at this particular moment...) and they have a different impression. Again, I'm not saying "smooth sailing all the way" because that would optimistic beyond all reason. But this is a liberating move for Apple in my opinion.

Regarding this specific Intel chip...word on the street is that there is a specific type of chip called Itanium which, if rumors are true, will be used in Apple hardware. This is an old article but I think this may be the case.

I'm afraid not. As it stands, Apple will be using P4's. In fact, the machine Steve used as a demo -- which is also the machine being seeded to developpers -- is a 3.6 GHz P4 (albeit in a G5 case, no doubt with Open Firmware instead of standard P4 bios.

Perhaps for now he is using P4's (which we don't know for sure...and if true would be really impressive...and proof of some serious flexibility and foresight)....but, there may be some things he can't or won't for business reasons completely disclose right now....or else he is saying that "there may be a future chip called Itanium" or something to that effect when in fact it is being put into practice as we speak...I would think that once Intel had the confidence that Apple wouldn't be considering the AMD chips in any way, they would make concessions that will benefit Apple solely. That would be a smart business move and may change the whole market share structure. Speculation on my part but I think entirely possible.

Regardless, it doesn't much matter -- it's still a completely alien chip architecture, and it's frankly insane to believe this could possibly be a seamless transition. There's a lot of bitter medicine ahead for Mac users.

But this is not an alien chip architecture...to us it is but to Apple it isn't. Not seamless...it is a transition. But they have been working on this for quite awhile.

I think this is great news for Apple...I think this will result in a big boost in processor speeds...now, regarding Coda...I'm not as optimistic...but willing to give the benefit of a doubt...for now...

What, because Coda's OS X migration went so smoothly?

No, I never said it did...but I wasn't talking about Coda...however, I choose to start out optimistically and assume that someone at Coda at least knows something about XCode.

Hoping for the best because I really love Finale,

I love Finale too, but Coda screwed up big time with OS X and right now I have zero confidence they will handle this migration any better.

I have +6 confidence on a scale of 1-10.....leaning toward optimism...just because I'm more comfortable that way! :-)

Take care,