When generating a lead sheet, it is often desirable to have chords that sequence under a fixed melody note. For example, you might have an 8 beat whole note where a sequence of chords are changing under it. This is not in keeping with the way finale anchors chords, since it the chord anchor must be on a tied note, note or rest. I have not seen any way to anchor a chord to a note that's not in the staff.

One can generate an artificial chord anchor by breaking a long note into tied notes, but that makes it awkward to read the music, and it's not good notation practice.

I tried hanging chords onto alternate layers, but that means sticking notes into the score that don't belong, and I have not figured out how to suppress the printing out of the alternate layers. That really confuses things.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?

Yours; Bill S.