You are correct that the question was answered, once, but I was hoping for a consensus. Thanks for the summary.
RBH

Darcy James Argue wrote:

On 29 Jun 2005, at 9:28 PM, Raymond Horton wrote:

And, so far, my question hasn't been answered with any degree of consensus by the experts on this fine list during this gentle mayhem that has ensued from the original question.

Actually, way back at the beginning, Johannes answered your original question -- "In such a use of 6/4 I would not consider it correct to use half rests" -- and I concurred. I don't believe anyone else has disagreed with this, despite the tangent the thread took.

The work in question is most definitely in two groups of 3 beats each (although it often hemiolas into 3/2 temporarily).

In those measures, you can (and should) use half rests where appropriate.

I just wasn't certain, in 6/4, whether five beats rest should generally be a dotted half plus two quarters

Yes.

or a dotted half plus a half.

No.

 The latter is easy to read,

Debatable.

but I suspect that Johannes is indeed on target with his asstertion that the former is most correct?

Yes.

Also, for another example: two beats rest, followed by a quarter note, quarter note, half note. Should the rest(s) be two quarter rests,

Yes.

or will a half suffice?

Not unless this is one of the temporary 3x2/4 situations.

My principal composition teacher, the late Nelson Keyes, was always quite irked when he would see a half rest in 3/4 in a published work, but it is a rule that is often broken. I don't know if this is the same type of situation.

Yes, it is.

Please don't let me down this time, folks!

I think most people assumed, as I did, that the question had already been answered to your satisfaction.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY