--- Darcy James Argue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tyler,
>
> We did.
>
>   A while back, many of the people on this list came
> up with a
> reasonably detailed plan for implementing a feature
> that looks very
> much like Sibelius's Dynamic Parts.  Between us, we
> decided exactly how
> it ought to work, and how it COULD work using an
> existing Finale
> mechanism (Special Part Extraction).  I passed the
> results of that
> discussion on to Coda -- I'm sure some of the other
> people involved did
> the same.

That's a good example. And believe it or not, it
nearly got implemented a few years ago because of
engraver requests. I can't even remember for sure
which release it was, but that feature was very nearly
implemented at the expense of developing little else.
I don't recall what exactly was involved with the
decision to not do it. At this point, I think it would
be good to make suggestions to MakeMusic for which
parts of that feature you actually need most. What
would be the minimum implementation for the feature
that would give you most of the usefulness? Sibelius'
method is pretty flashy, complete with instantaneous
update. If something like that isn't necessary, it
would be good to mention that. I'm pretty sure that
MakeMusic will at least be looking at this feature
again now that Sibelius has included it. They have a
lot of other stuff on their plate though, so the less
work they'd have to spend on it, the better chance
they'd be able to do it.