Yes, Ken! Someone else corrected me so it must be true -- I was wrong! Unfortunately the email was deleted so cannot back check to see what I missed.

I figure...

Nonetheless there is now a 5/12 within that 5/8 of this larger 12/8 (that you derived from the original metronomic 1/3 slower 4/4) that remains 1/3 shorter and is subsequently 5/18ths of the original 4/4 but winds up 15/48th of your newly established 12/8. -i.e. an inner nested triplet and 2/3 within this metronomically accelerated 5/8. Had it been in 12/12 to 5/12 this would appear as (me logically following my own argument)- 5/18. In other words all you've done is postpone the inevitable complication.

So -

Your version:

q=40
4/4
q=qdot
5/8
q=qdot
5/8
q=40 (VERY shorthand)
4/4

Maxima longa!

My version:

q=40
4/4
5/12
5/18
4/4

Longa maxima!

Vis a vis all else- in total -- I too prefer experience over rationality with my music.

But this was fun!

Jerry