Taris Flashpaw wrote:

Hi all
I've run into a bit of a quandary with the finale to a work I'm currently trying to finish (which has been ongoing for about five years). The fourth movement (of five) is a lovely passacaglia and the bass line (on which the whole movement is based) only ever cadences when another repetition follows it (it ends with a V7 and starts with a i chord), so naturally, come the end of the movement, the cadence is nowhere to be found. My intentions are to have an attacca into the fifth movement and have the final i chord of the passacaglia kick off the finale (of course, modulating to the new key).

Here's my problem. The passacaglia is in D minor and the Finale is in B minor. What key signature should I use for the start of the Finale? Should I use D minor to easier show the modulations, or should I notate the whole thing in B minor (the modulation will only take a few bars, so by bar 10, it will be in B minor). I see it as kind of pointless to use a key signature for only ten bars and then change it...

What would you recommend?

I would make the key signature B minor for the finale, right from the start.

--
David H. Bailey