On 10 Jul 2005 at 9:46, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> Run even new versions of Sibelius and Finale side-by-side. Which one
> can you start plunking at and have it put music on the screen?
> Sibelius. Even with a template set to come up immediately, Finale
> wants you to be too informed first, almost like way back in the line
> editor days. Admittedly, Finale has gotten much better about being
> immediate, though it still insists (for example) that notes go into
> the measure in order, even in Simple entry. No playing around! Get to
> work!

I don't quite get this criticism.

Using the Sibelius 4 demo and my copy of WinFin2K3, if I launch the
new document wizard and use Finale in Simple Entry mode, it works
almost precisely the same way as Sibelius.

Now, I don't know what Finale's default setup is -- I believe out of
the box it defaults to the document setup wizard. I do not know if it
defaults to simple entry or not. If it doesn't, then it would be a
little harder than Sibelius.

But once you're in simple entry, I just don't seen enough differences
to make a difference, except for the kindergarten large size of the
page layout in Finale (something that has always made no sense to me
at all).

I just tried setting up a piano quartet, and the Sibelius 4 demo got
it exactly right, with 3 staves per page, whereas Finale came up with
such huge staves that it can mange only 2 per page. So, yes, to get
printout that looks decent in Finale, you've got to know how to
adjust page layout, whereas Sibelius is smart enough to get things
right on the first try.

But in terms of getting music in, I don't see much difference between
the two.