John Bell wrote:

On 11 Jul 2005, at 02:30, John Bell wrote:

[FinMac 2005b]
There's a really annoying bug in Finale that's been there for years. When a note with an accidental is tied to the next bar and then tied again to another note in this same bar, the final note is given a redundant accidental. For example, in 4/4: whole note with accidental tied to half note tied to eighth note.

I reported this to Finale some years ago and they acknowledged that it was a bug but have never fixed it. I'm so used to it that I automatically hit * in these situations to hide the unwanted accidental. Except when I forget. Sometimes they escape my proof-reading, and are I believe rather confusing for the players as well as being plain wrong.

Replying to myself: this bug doesn't always strike, but I have been unable to establish exactly what triggers it. Having experimented for the past five minutes, a surer way to elicit the bug seems to be: (in 4/4): half note rest, half note with accidental tied to half note, tied to quarter note.

I just tried this in WinFin2005b and that bug doesn't appear on my computer. I wonder if it's a Mac-only bug.

--
David H. Bailey