On Jul 10, 2005, at 1:31 PM, Owain Sutton wrote:

1) The accelerando leads smoothly up to the new tempo, in which case the instructions should be "accel....al...9:8 faster" (I suspect this is the case you had in mind.)

Yes, this is the one I had in mind. But this way of indicating it is still potentially misleading, as it could be interpreted as 'accel.....subito 9:8 faster'.

The magic word "al" absolutely rules this out. In any event, the issue would be the same without a proportion (accel...al...piĆ¹ mosso is a common enough instruction).

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/