On 7/9/05, Noel Stoutenburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There is also the issue of just how accurate Sibelius' claim of 10000
> users switching from Finale to Sibelius really is.  I would expect that
> it is true that 10000 users took advantage of the competitive upgrade;
> however, this was painless, as C/N/M keeps track of their own user base
> and ships out upgrades based upon its own records, there is no penalty
> to sending in the distribution CD (especially if you send in an older
> redundant version, or first burn a back-up copy).

Several years ago I sent in the required cd/title-page (whatever) and
received a competitive upgrade to Sibelius. (I sent in the previous
year's CD, so I didn't need to burn a copy or anything. In general, I
don't burn copies except for FLOSS software, where it is the norm.)

> I would also note that in the various forums in which I participate,
> since the first of the year, I have seen by actual count, a dozen
> different users who wrote to the lists, saying that they had originally
> used Finale, had switched to  Sibelius, been disenchanted, and had
> switched back to using Finale because of Sibelius' shortcomings.

I don't know that I became disenchanted (per se), but (because my
composition projects are very irregular) several months passed after
the upgrade to Sibelius. When I needed to "engrave" something, I
needed to do it in a hurry, and Finale was what I knew best.

Since that time, I have upgraded my Win/XP computer, and noticed the
other day that I hadn't reinstalled Sibelius. (In the back of my mind
I seem to recall that I had to phone Sibelius when I activated my
upgrade version, and decided that I wasn't up to waiting on hold for
awhile, then trying to convince them that I'm not a thief, that I
really did upgrade my Duron 800 to an Athlon64, etc., etc. ... So my
Sibelius CD remains on the shelf.  I guess that means I'm not really a
Sibelius convert ( ... yet?).

--T