On 12 Jul 2005 at 0:08, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 11 Jul 2005, at 8:07 PM, Ken Durling wrote:
>
> >> I'm confused by this - isn't AIFF the mac equivalent of a .WAV
> >> file?  MIDI files contain no timbral information, so wouldn't there
> >> have to be an intermediate sound card or sampler for the MIDI file
> >> to drive to produce an AIFF?
>
> QuickTime contains a General MIDI soundfont -- QuickTime Musical
> Instruments.  It's what Mac users without an external MIDI device used
> for Finale playback before the introduction of Finale's own soundfont.

iTunes on Windows uses your hardware soundcard for outputting MIDI
files to wave formats. Unfortunately, on my system, it chooses the
dreadful Microsoft soft synthesizer instead of my far superior Turtle
Beach soundcard's hardware synthesizer. The results are unusable, but
it's doing it without using Quicktime instruments, because I have
never installed them (well, I installed them once; they were so bad,
I thereafter never installed them on any further PCs of mine).