On 14 Jul 2005 at 22:48, Christopher Smith wrote:

> While thinking about this, I came to the hypothesis that one of the
> first replies here (David, was that you?) was correct; that the MIDI
> may be time stamped, but the keyboard input is not; it is just read in
> the order that the keys are pressed and held in a buffer until such
> time as it can be taken and applied. So if my computer gets
> bottle-necked on some housekeeping task (like redrawing the screen)
> then it just forgets about the carefully time-stamped MIDI input that
> happened eons ago (in its mind) and goes on with the "Important" tasks
> fed into it by the QWERTY keyboard, completely uncoordinated with the
> MIDI.

Surely for a data bus that is assumed to have multiple devices using
it, *all* data has to be time-stamped in some fashion.

If not, then that means that nobody using a USB QWERTY keyboard with
a USB MIDI interface would be having success, since it would mean
that there's no way for USB to appropriate serialize events generated
by different devices destined for the same software process.

I've never been impressed with USB, though I use it a lot (I have a
three devices attached to my PC and four attached to a USB hub). I
just don't use it for more than one time sensitve task (my mouse,
which is plugged directly into one of the PC's USB ports).

All non-quoted content (c) David W. Fenton, all rights reserved