At 02:29 PM 08/06/2005, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:
> I assume a CDRW would
>suffice for my purpose, however, once I select "Burn,"  I can neither
>add or delete any data from it, right?

No, that's backwards.

CDRW (Re-Writeable) can be used just like a giant floppy. You can put files on, and delete them, and rename them, etc. But you don't burn anything to a CDRW -- you just save or move files as though it were any other kind of disk. But my understanding is that there are all kinds of potential problems with CDRW (David Fenton was talking about this a little while ago). I believe they are more error and corruption-prone, and I believe also that the drivers which allow reading and writing are not native to the OS. This means that a CDRW you write on your computer may only be readable on another computer if they're using the same packet writing software.

CDR, on the other hand, is essentially a write-once medium. It is possible to burn to a CDR multiple times -- called different sessions -- and then close the disk at the end, but you can only add new data in a session, not delete existing. Speaking personally, I have had difficulties with some CD drives not being able to read multisession CDRs. It's entirely possible that these were older drives and that this problem doesn't exist anymore -- but with blank CDRs going for about $0.25 each, I've never worried about burning once and then throwing it away and burning a new one when I wanted to add things.

Aaron.