On 10 Aug 2005 at 18:38, Darcy James Argue wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2005, at 6:20 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

> > The Digest obviously works for many people or they wouldn't
> > subscribe to it.
>
> That's what we usually call a "tautology," David.

Well, I provided a justification for why one would subscribe to the
Digest (wanting to receive fewer messages per day), and a secondary
benefit of that reason (fewer new mail notifications). You responded
only to the latter, ignoring the major benefit in order to be insular
and tell us how great your own email client is.

Here is what you're missing:

Not everyone reads email or uses there computers the same way you do.
For those people who do things differently, there may be benefits to
the Digest that you would not find helpful to you personally.

As to the supposed tautology, the list that I subscribe to on Digest
has 49.5% of its subscribers on Digest. I don't know the percentage
on this list, but Digest mode obviously serves the interests of a lot
of people, however little it may serve any of yours.