On 12 Aug 2005 at 16:24, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

> Brad Beyenhof wrote:
>
> >The easiest way to do this is to put the Voice notes in another
> >layer, and to assign that layer to another MIDI instrument in the
> >Instrument List.
>
> leading me to wonder if there is some way to define playback of an
> expression to accomplish this.

Well, of course there is -- create a non-printing expression that
sets key velocity to 0.

But then you need a non-printing expression to set key velocity back
to an appropriate value.

I've gone through all the variations on this over the years when
setting up my files for playback. For trills, I first tried using
executable shapes, but could never quite understand them well enough
to be able to tweak them to work in specific situations (when they
worked, they were quite good; when they didn't, I despaired trying to
adjust them to fit individual situations).

Next, I used non-printing zero velocity expressions. This was back in
the day before we had the ability to put non-printing text in
brackets, so I'd put the expressions in then delete the text for
printing.

Then, I started using blank notation in layer 1 for the playback, and
put the printed notation in layer 4 (with no playback defined for
layer 4). That worked OK until WinFin 2K3 "fixed" music spacing so
that it took account of blank notation (i.e., the spacing was being
defined something about halfway between the trill realization being
visible and the realization being invisible). This method also
required doing a whole measure at a time, not just the parts that
needed to be realized differently than the notation.

Now I use layer 3 for the playback layer, and don't display layer 3
or have layer 3 affect music spacing, and put only the realization
notes in the layer 3. The note being realized (e.g., the note to
which the trill sign is attached) I turn off playback in the frame
editing dialog (i.e., what you get when you Ctrl-Click a measure in
Speedy).

HP makes much of this no longer necessary, although I can't say I'm
thrilled with the trills (they are not human-sounding enough -- to
me, all trills should start slower and speed up, in order to
emphasize the dissonance; of course, that doesn't really apply to
19th-century trills, which start on the main note), but they might be
good enough in most cases so I'd have to realize them by hand only in
occasional cases, rather than all the time, as in the past.

It's the HP realization of hairpins that really makes me happy --
that's always a real pain because of how bad the MIDI continuous data
editor is.

Of course, I'm just going on what the demo does, as I haven't
upgraded. But I think HP is pretty good in many ways (though certain
things I don't like about it and wish I could turn off, selectively).