On 14 Sep 2005 at 6:52, Phil Daley wrote:

> At 9/13/2005 07:40 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
>  >The folks who wrote the algorithm seem to me not to know enough
>  about >musical style(s) to be able to design something that will
>  produce >reasonable results. They seem to go more for variety and
>  near >randomness and ignore harmony almost exclusively, instead of
>  >recognizing that music in a particular style is very *conventional*
>  >rather than random.
>
> For those who don't know, David probably does, Wolfram is the guy
> behind Mathmatica.

He's also the man behind the grand unified theory that all sorts of
apparent complexity are the result of simple processes. This suggests
to me that they are attempting to show the same thing with their
music generator, but it seems to me that their source processes are
just much too simple to produce the results they are seeking.