Jacki:

It's possible that you've unchecked "Save Preferences When Quitting
FInale" in the Program Options. This would do the same things you
describe, but rather than turn it on I would suggest that you instead
get all the settings exactly the way you like them and then go to File
> Save Special > Save Preferences. I personally prefer to keep my
preferences in one known-good state instead of having Finale re-save
them every time I exit the program, but YMMV if you like to change the
preferences around a lot.

Hope this helps!

--
Brad Beyenhof