On 23 Sep 2005 at 6:42, Owain Sutton wrote:

> Turning off ledger lines is the one case I use this dialogue, for
> instance when a glissando has the metre indicated by
> croctchet/quaver/semiquaver stems along its length (enter the note
> at the necessary position, hide the notehead, hide any ledger
> lines).

I use it on a daily basis for turning off playback for notes that 
have ornaments that I'm realizing in a different hidden layer.  

While Human Playback eliminates the need for realizing ornaments, 
when I eventually have a version of Finale that has HP (if?), I'm not 
going use HP for every single ornament, as the default playback 
interpretation is:  

1. not always correct: for example, turns are often upside down 
because it doesn't distinguish between the 3 or 4 different types of
turns that really do exist.

2. not always satisfactory: I prefer longer trills to start out slow
and speed up, but HP has them measured and regular. That's one of the
few things I actually liked about using executable shapes for trills,
that you could visually define that increasing frequency of
repetitions by increasing the frequency of the peaks of your shape.
The result was always *very* natural-sounding, much more so than the
methods I use today, where I frequently use tuplets to make even-
sounding gradations from one subdivision to another. It's better than
the jarring jump from, say, a 16th- to a 32nd-note, but not nearly as
good as the even change you can get with executable shapes. Too bad
executable shapes are so incredibly hard to define, and so little re-
usable.

3. not always defined: I mentioned turns above, and one of the 
annoyances of HP there is that only one turn symbol, the one in 
Finale's own fonts, is recognized as a turn. There are other symbols,
as well, that are not recognized, such as the + for a trill in French
Baroque music. As long as HP exposes no user-definable dictionary of
items for playback definition, there are going to be circumstances
where I'll need to define them manually and use the frame editing
dialog to turn off playback on individual notes.

-- 
David W. Fenton                        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to