David McKay wrote:

Hi
I'd like to purchase an easy-to-use sound recording
program, and wonder if Finale list members could give
me some advice, please.

I purchased a copy of Cool Edit 2000 only 2 years ago,
but have twice had major computer crashes which have
left me without a record of my purchase. [There's a
warning there, I know!]

I understand that the program is now defunct and is
now marketed by Adobe as Adobe Audition, which I have
been trying out.

This program costs $299 USD, and looks good, but seems
to sometimes conk out after 30 seconds on my computer.
I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion with Pentium 4, 2.53
ghz, 500 megs of RAM and a 60 gig HD with 250 gig
backup HD.

I would have thought I had enough power there.

I understand I can purchase the Audition program for
$169 with proof of purchase of Cool Edit, but there's
the rub!

Do you know of anything about the same price, or
better? I only need something simple to do occasional
live recording of piano and possibly a voice or solo
instrument or 2.

I used Cool Edit previously reasonably successfully,
but the program won't let me save unless I pay for it
again!

Audition works, including saving, in a try before you
buy version, but seems to sometimes cut out after 30
seconds, though the documentation doesn't say it is
meant to.

Thanks for any help you can give.

There is Audacity, which is freeware, at http://audacity.sourceforge.net which will allow you to record 2 channels (stereo L R).

There is PowerTracksPro ($40 approx) from http://www.pgmusic.com which will allow you to record as many audio tracks as you have audio inputs for, and you can keep re-recording if you want (just like a multi-track tape recorder) until you get all the instrumental parts just as you wish, up to a total of 64.

Enter "audio +recording software" into a search engine and you'll be amazed at all the hits.

--
David H. Bailey