Lawrence David Eden wrote:

Although I am still running OS 9.2 on my Mac with Fin 2K3, I have been interested in what I am hearing about the latest version of Finale. For a notation program to inadvertently delete your work is cruel and unusual.

This is one of the many issues that drove me screaming from Nightengale to Finale. Items that I had carefully entered into the score did not extract with the parts. My Finale teacher who arranged for the Air Force Band said that the arrangers that he worked with would have thrown Nightengale directly into the trash and gone to an alternative program. Although this sounded a little drastic at the time, I find myself wondering why those of you who have been bitten by some pretty scary bugs have not simply disposed of this version of Finale and gone elsewhere. MM must be taken to task for selling an unstable program.

The more I read of your problems and frustrations with Finale's latest, the better 2K3 looks to me. I have no problems to report. 2K3 has been and will continue to be my faithful servant.

Hopefully all of us who have upgraded kept our installations of Fin2005 and added a second installation for Fin2006, so we can continue to do real work in Fin2005 while waiting to see what happens with Fin2006.

I'm on Windows, so the "let's trash some data when he's not looking" bug hassn't bitten me, but even as I installed it I didn't have a great feeling of trust (especially when some things which were supposed to work in GPO, such as preset ambience settings selection) in it and have continued to do any "can't have any screwups" work in Finale2005.

There isn't anything else to go to -- Sibelius, while not trashing any already-entered data, is frustrating for some of us to work with and is more limiting in how things are done although it can do almost all that Finale can do.

Notion, the new windows version of Nightingale, which was the mac version of MusicPrinterPlus, is much more limited in what it can do, and seems to be mainly focused on playback rather than on the real needs of music engravers.

So we are stuck using the last known-stable version of Finale, and hoping against hope that the crippling bug in FinMac2006 can be resolved.

I wonder what would happen if they simply took out all the hooks to GPO playback and released a version where playback was like it was in Fin2005 but any engraving improvements are left.

Or what if they released a version without the "manipulate-temp-files-in-memory-rather-than-on-disk" supposed improvements.

But as for being able to jump to a different product, there's nothing other than Fin2005 that will do for many of us.

--
David H. Bailey