On 6 Nov 2005 at 10:56, John Howell wrote:

> In my own editing, my goal is to make the music
> intelligible to modern singers while retaining as
> much as possible of what I consider important in
> the original.  In renaissance vocal music this
> includes removing bar lines (and eliminating ties
> across those bar lines) but putting the music in
> score, reducing note values to make it look as I
> want it to sound, and beaming across 8ths and
> 16ths rather than using the archaic separate
> flags.  My singers are used to it, and read it
> just fine.

To clarify: I was not asking about vocal music. I use modern beaming
in vocal music, as well, because it's just much easier for singers to
read. This is most easily demonstrated by asking a singer to
sightread from some beautifully-engraved early 18th-century French
edition. You'll find that the singers *can't* read the music, even
though there's nothing at all unclear about the note shapes (as there
might be in MS). So, yes, I do the same for vocal music, since I
don't feel the non-beaming conveys anything useful that is not quite
clear from word continuation symbols along with judiciously-placed
slurs.

Charpentier's MS is tough in the other direction. For melismas, he
beams everything under a single syllable then connects that which
can't be beamed together (such as 8 16ths and a quarter) with a
single slur. This is so different from modern convention (i.e., using
beams to accomplish exactly what we'd use slurs for) that I don't
even try to replicate it.

But in instrumental music, beaming breaks and reversed stems seem to
me to suggest information about articulation, accentuation, phrasing
and bowing. And I leave them as is (even when clefs are changed, on
which point I differ with Dennis, though there are cases where I will
remove the reversed stem if it obviously cannot convey any such
additional information) even if it violates modern engraving
conventions (which I basically don't give a rat's ass about) and even
it if looks a little unusual. The potential informational value is
more important to me than uniformity of appearance, and I can hardly
think of circumstances where it makes the music harder to sightread.