a) imput the three voices in layer  one ( a-b-c)
b) with the tie tool make a tie of the notes that correspond to the "b" voice
c) switch to layer two
------------------
d) in layer two repeat the imput of  the notes that correspond to voice "b"
e) make a tie of the notes ("b") that you just put in layer two
f)  - from the main tool palette choose the custom tie tool, click-select one end of the tie which unites the two voice "b" notes - lets say you choose the "right end" of the tie -  and drag away form the note  to shorten it's lenght - this will leave the other end of the tie attached to the note and you will have a half way tie-.
g) still in layer two choose, from the main tool palette, the custom stem tool and use it to "hide" the stems of the two "b" notes
h) go back to layer one
back in layer one
i)  from the main tool palette choose the custom tie tool, click-select the end of the tie which unites the two voice "b" notes -that which is opposite the tie in layer two and which corresponds to the "left end" of the tie - and drag it away from the note to shorten it's lenght.

please let me know if this explanation clarifies things for you, if not I'll make a drawing of the procedure and will mail it to you off list.

GR