On Dec 1, 2005, at 4:22 AM, dc wrote:

Jonathan Smith écrit:
One thing I have discovered with the duplexing side: The main cause of jams appears to come from the rollers that feed out of the heat exchange roller (this is just as they come out of the back of the machine proper and go into the duplexer) and then the pick up rollers from the top of the duplexer (under the lift up lid part) and round the 180° bend at the back of the duplexer. I find that by regular cleaning of these rollers with an alcohol based cleaner makes the whole thing work a lot smoother for a few thousand copies.

Exactly my problem, and my solution.

When you see how complex these duplexers are it isn't any wonder they break down! But as they charge such a high price for them in the first place it seems grossly unfair to the consumer.

HP no longer manufactures the duplexer for the 5000 series. The one I currently have was purchased on E-bay, and I anticipate that when it wears out no further ones will be available. At that point I'll have to sell my otherwise still wonderful printer and buy a new model with current duplexer support.

Actually, there is no real paper jam: the paper just doesn't get fed into the mechanism and folds up accordion-wise.

Why is that not a jam? The only difference I can see is that the crumpled-up paper sticks out of the machine, where you can see it.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/