in the older generation you've got programs for the Commodore, Atari, pre-Mac Apples, and of course the original Sibelius for the Acorn. And the truly professional programs like Score needed, if I understand it correctly, working directly in DOS or some such thing.

One of the pieces I publish is Lejaren Hiller's _Computer Cantata_, wh. for its day (1965) was a tour de force of computer music, since the computer was used to compose the piece, create the sung text, generate sounds for the accompanying tape, print the score, and extract the parts. Of course this was not commercial software, but it represents the starting point for any history of the medium.

If I remember correctly, Hiller's early music programs were called MUSICOMP and MUSICOL.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/