On 28 Jan 2006 at 8:23, dc wrote:

> How many verses can one put under a vocal line without confusing the
> singer? I'm doing an Italian piece with no less than 10 verses. How
> many should I keep under the music? And then, what do I do with the
> others? Add the text only after the music? Repeat the music with new
> text?

I would say that 5 or 6 is the maximum I've ever seen in a hymn book.
In any other kind of music, I'd think 4 would just about be the limit
(though it the piece had 5 verses, I'd probably fit them all in).

I often see pieces with 1 verse in the music and 8 or 10 verses
printed down below, and I just think that's not good, as it makes
everything very hard after the first verse.

I'd do it with 4 in the music and the remaining 6 at the bottom,
unless there was some reason that 4 verses would cause bad spacing
problems.