On 18.02.2006 Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
I am working on a short sinfonia (movements are about 90 measures long).
The 2 Violin parts are the more sophisticated (versus the Viola and 'Cello parts). I absolutely can not the 2 Violin parts to fit on two pages (which would be the optimal way to do it). Is it *that* bad to have this one three pages? Obviously I'd try to get the last measure to be something with
either rests or simple note values to help ease the pain of the page turn.

I am not sure I fully understand: Do you need page turns _within_ the movements, in 90 measure movements? Unless they are completely full of passage work you are either using too large notation, or too small a page size. (Unless you are printing 1st and 2nd violins in the same part - don't!)

If you mean that you cannot fit all three movements on two pages, put the turn between the first and second movement (if they are typical fast-slow-fast sinfonias). That's usually nicer than having the violins all turn after the slow (and quiet) movement. Many performers like to go quickly from the slow into the fast movement.

If that's not an option, try to find appropriate rests (1 measure in a fast 3/4 is not enough). Avoid GPs. (See my other email on what else to avoid)

Be aware that single sheet parts (ie A3 folded in half) tend to fall off the stand when turned quickly. Please do not fall in the paper saving Doblinger trap of using a single sheet of folded A3, which needs to be completely turned over to make up two double pages. It is asking for disaster imo.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de