Jacki Barineau wrote:
I knew I'd have another question as soon as I sent the last note! It's been 23 years since I took music theory in college, and though I remember a lot, this song interpretation is really challenging my old brain here!! What I did is have the piano player play the song into a midi file so I could interpret the chords he's playing and notate the song for the composer (the piano player plays by ear only)... What is the "rule of thumb" on when you call a chord a 9th, 11th, or 13th? I remember something about the 7th needing to be present or otherwise you'd call it a 6th instead of 13th or an "add2" instead of a 9th...?? This particular chord definitely has the "dominant" feel/sound to it and is used in that way as it leads to the tonic. The song is in Cm. This chord I'm trying to define is:

G - F - C - Eb - G - Bb

Would this be a Gm13?  Or what?!!

I'd call this a Cm7sus4.

--