Keith,

try this: http://www.musipedia.org/

Best wishes,

Michael Cook

On 14 Jun 2006, at 07:32, keith helgesen wrote:

Having had no reply or comment on this query (originally sent a few days ago) I can only assume it either didn’t get posted- or nobody really wants to talk to me!

It was sent during a period of address confusion!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Recently there was a very entertaining request for identification of a melody- (I got the melody, but didn’t know the answer!)

As I approach my 70th year there are dozens of great ‘tunes’ buzzing round in my aging head. Problem-75% without names or sources!

I learnt my craft in British Army Bands in the 50’s and 60’s, playing on seaside bandstands, at Edinburgh Festival, Earls Court Tattoo, Buck House, and countless parade grounds, around the world.

Occasionally it’s the opposite. Titles with no melody- titles like Aisha, Monsieur Beaucaire, Golliwogs Cakewalk, Wedding of the Painted Doll- the list goes on. These I can often find on the internet- but not always.

Countless great nameless military marches parade in the old grey matter.

About 30 years ago I was told by a colleague of a service available to solve such dilemmas.

One sent the melody, written on ms paper, in key if known (or in C major)- with tempo marking and style, to an address (I think he said in London).

In those days it would have been by snail-mail presumably. Eventually one received the result of their search.

Presumably there was a charge for this service.

Sorry to be so OT, but these un-identified snippets drive me crazy!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Keith in OZ

Keith Helgesen.