On Jul 10, 2006, at 3:35 PM, David Froom wrote:

Darcy, how would that first phrase in Chopin's e minor prelude be explained
in jazz theory terms?  I'd be curious to see that.

I could take a stab at it. Give me a bit of time to look at it again (same as the first phrase of Jobim's How Insensitive).

I saw a report in the Washington Post about Tymoczko's article -- the
newsworthiness was that it was published in Science (clever move on his part). He is a very smart guy, and could be on to something. He is also not making any extravagant claims, but seems to be offering this as a way of understanding. Traditional music theory really does struggle with mid-19th through 20th century harmony (unless it carefully follows a well- established theory/method). Unfortunately, I could not look at the movie link -- keeps
timing out on me.

Try this -

http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri/ChordGeometries.html

I liked what I have seen of him so far. He says that jazz and classical music are not as far apart as everyone says they are, which I have been arguing for a long time, too.

Christopher