At 11:44 AM -0400 6/28/06, Raymond Horton wrote:

The arms race is true in orchestras, but can be much more true in live pop and jazz. .. About ten or 12 years ago, the Tempataions did a pair of outdoor concerts with us. They had synths doubling all the orchestra parts at ffff, and sound guys would come back and tell us that we couldn't be heard, so we needed to jam the mics in our bells and play as loud as possible. The volume was deafening on stage. .. [snip]

After the second show, I left to drive overnight up to Cleveland for the trombone workshop. On the way up , I heard the original recording of the above mentioned song on the radio. My jaw dropped open - it sounded like chamber music by comparison - and the trombone Cs were unison only, very small bore, and light. The recording sounded like about 12 instruments, tops. (And no synths, of course.)

John Howell wrote:

One problem is that many (most?) audio engineers and mixists are not very good musicians, learned their trade mixing rock and country bands, and are suffering from advanced hearing loss. When I found out that I had a progressive high frequency hearing loss (no rock bands, just your average trumpet and trombone players!!) I impressed on my mixist that I would tell him what I heard and what I wanted to hear, but that he must use his own best judgement in interpreting my instructions. We attempted to keep our SPL below 90 dB, and still got occasional complaints from little old ladies whose hearing was MUCH too good!

Our music technology program is too new too have a track record for our graduates in the industry, but we do insist that they be performing musicians, sing or play in ensembles, do senior recitals, etc., and take all the same theory and history courses as the performance and music ed majors.

John

Sorry, John, I've been in and out of town and away from computers part of the time and did not see your reply when you first posted it in late June. At what school are you?

I'll go you one better on your statement about audio engineers: All sound guys are deaf. Except for MY son, of course, who is interning with an outdoor sound company while home from college (Ball State U), where he is in a fine Music Tech program that is very demanding and comprehensive. He has taken all the music classes, including performng, theory and even private composition; all the science and math classes including calculus, physics, acoustics, and other things I'm afraid to ask him about.