I remember some discussion a while ago about cleaning and maintenance for the HP 5000 printer duplexer - a maintenance kit or some such - and what to use as a solvent.  Don't know how to search the list.  Anybody remember, or can point me in the right direction?

Duplexer jams every page, and a search of HP's site turned up nothing useful.  (I don't always have the best search techniques, though I thought I tried hard on this one.)

TIA

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I have one of these and after 8 years it is really on its last legs. I got the maintainance kit 2 years back and apart from the rollers it changed little, in fact I needed to reinstall the original heat roller part (the most expensive bit of the kit) with the old which continued to work fine! This is the crucial bit as it helps feed the paper out through the back tray where if the rollers aren't functioning well the paper will catch and not get 'pushed' along to the next set of rollers. There is nothing in this kit for the duplexer and there is no kit for it either. It's also pricey, but look around as I was quoted different prices.

I use a slightly heavier paper and that probably doesn't help, but it has been fine for years so I don't put the blame on the paper. In fact it duplexes almost perfectly from the the A3 tray with heavy grade paper, but the A4 is where the problem lies. I also get no pick up on the manual tray (tray 1). After fitting the maintainance kit it all went wrong.

I have used a light alchohol based cleaner on the rollers for years, whenever it plays up and it seems to solve the problem for a while, but I now have pages snagging on the way out of the duplexer, half way through and on the way back. It really is a complex system inside.

I believe that the duplexers are no longer made.

I am seriously thinking of ditching it for the Konica Minolta 7300 which is also colour, A3 and duplexes although I don't really need colour. If anyone knows of a good and trusty B&W laser, A3 with duplexer I'd be happy know....?

Hope this helps,

Jonathan