Say two violin staves are to be combined into one treble clef piano part. In one measure, violin one plays dotted quarter, eighth, and half notes. Violin two plays two half notes. After the two are combined, the second violin part has become dotted quarter tied to eighth followed by half. These kind of errors are common with either Finale or Sibelius when combining several parts on one stave.

I would like the first two beats of the measure to have the second violin part in voice 2. I don't want the entire bar in voice 2 because it's a piano part and I don't want unneeded stems hanging around. Finale will let me reassign the music's voice *but only a measure at a time. *I cannot select a *single note* in Finale and change it's voice or layer independently of the other notes in the measure. In Sibelius I can select the half note in the second violin part and change it's layer without changing the rest of the bar. That's what I was referring to. In this particular job I frequently had to rewrite voice 2 from scratch because I could not change just the individual notes that needed changing.

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tyler Turner wrote:
--- Don Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Richard,

I may not totally understand the difficulties your
job presented, but layers
can easily be reassigned if "view active layer only"
is selected, and all
four layers are not in use (doable, but not what I'd
describe as easy when
all layers are busy).

I believe that there is also a plugin to convert
voices to layers but I have
never used it so I can't really comment on that.

Don Hart

My first thought, assuming the notes were in a single
layer and he wanted to split some of them out to a
second layer, was that perhaps explode music or
TGTools part extraction could have been used to get
them to a second staff. Or perhaps something with the
Notemover Tool, moving them to a different staff. But
the people on this list are all-too-familiar with
these solutions, so if they didn't find the solution,
there probably wasn't a good way to do it in Finale.
This is an area where Sibelius is ahead.

Tyler

begin:vcard
fn:Richard Smith
n:Smith;Richard