In my opinion (certainly not a legal one) copying to replace or protect
legally purchased music is exactly analogous to copying a CD to protect
the legally purchased original. Publisher a recording companies do
themselves a disservice and appear greedy when they insist otherwise.

I agree that much of the current copyright law is antiquated and does
not reflect the current state of technology (both music and printing)
nor the way many today work (or would prefer to work). It is the
publishers who want to do business as they did 50 years ago that cause this.

My music is sold with a license to copy parts (but not scores) as needed
for the original purchaser. In addition, I make site licensing available
for large institutions with multiple performing organizations. See this
link for a complete description. http://www.rgsmithmusic.com/Copyright.htm

For several years I have been of the opinion that the present publishing
model is outdated. Music goes out of print because of expenses of
printing, storing, and marketing large print runs. For institutional
use, it makes much more sense to print on demand from a .PDF or other
electronic file. Publishers would dramatically reduce their expense,
music dealers would not have to stock so much music that may or may not
sell, and musicians would no longer see music go out of print.

A music store's business would change to marketing popular music and
musical books for mass consumption, earlier works not published
electronically, and digital files of other works. Dealers could also
profit from printing (for an additional fee) digital files for customers
that don't want to print their own (or can't).

I'll be glad when the laws reflect present reality.

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Darcy James Argue wrote:
> Keith has only ever been talking about his own use. But he (and
> others) have assumed that legally, he must re-purchase a set of
> replacement parts, and that re-engraving or photocopying the
> deteriorating parts would be a violation of copyright. This seems
> wrong to me on principle, but then again, much of copyright law does.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Darcy
> -----
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://secretsociety.typepad.com
> Brooklyn, NY
>

> On 23 Aug 2006, at 1:33 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:
>

>> On Aug 22, 2006, at 8:36 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone explain why, legally, Keith can't just photocopy or
>>> re-engrave the deteriorating parts?
>>
>> For his own use, he absolutely can. The only problem is if he made a
>> copy for somebody else who had not purchased the original.
>>
>> Andrew Stiller
>> Kallisti Music Press
>> http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/

begin:vcard
fn:Richard Smith
n:Smith;Richard
org:R.G. Smith Music Engraving & Publishing
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
url:http://www.rgsmithmusic.com
version:2.1
end:vcard