Hmm, well, my home made PCs can boot off CD-Rom/DVD. This includes my lowly dual pentium III server computer, bought and built by me in 1998.

But, what you can do when you boot, that is a different matter. You can't really do anything useful with the Windows XP CD. Perhaps the emergency disk helps? But I think when one runs Windows, you pray to God that you never have to go through the hell of fixing it. At least, I do.