Henry E. Howey wrote:
I was sure I did know how to do this, but am hopelessly stuck now. I am
trying to set up the Drum Set staff playback. WinXP, Fin?05.

Could someone, please, tell me what am I doing wrong:

Channel 10, patch 1. STAFF TOOL --- click handle --- NOTATION STYLE
?Percussion? ---Select ---Create --- highlight MIDI Pitch 35, slide handle
to 1st space (F), checkmark ?HIGHLIGHTED NOTE?, PLAYBACK NOTE defaulted to
35 [and then the same process for MIDI pitches 38, 42, 45, 47, 48, 56, 77]
--- Done --- Select --- OK.

I am still getting the same rubbish playback with the whistle instead of
snare drum, etc.

My prospective soloist needs to hear the piece ASAP. Please, help!

What clef are you using? I find that the box clef works best for my percussion staves.

For the playback, I always highlight the General Midi Entry and Playback, and then click EDIT to make the changes you're making.

Try that rather than "Create" and see if it works better.

Other than those two things you're doing exactly what I do, but mine usually work.

--
David H. Bailey