Marc Shepherd wrote:
I've found a peculiar bug with Smart Shapes. In one of my files, if I try to create /any/ smart shape, the program crashes. I've tried several smart shapes, several different places in the file, several views. It's the same result every time. As soon as I double-click to create the smart shape, Finale 2007 crashes instantly. Smart shapes work in other files, so just this one file is giving the program trouble. I'm on a Windows XP system.

I've re-opened the file in Finale 2007 with the last version saved from Finale 2005, and the same crash occurs. But in Finale 2005 itself, there is no problem.

Is this a known bug, and does it have a workaround? Is there a "back-conversion" utility that can convert a file back to an earlier version of Finale? I would just go back to Finale 2005, but I have to re-do all the edits since I upgraded.

Wow -- I haven't had any such problem with any older files I've opened and edited in Fin2007. I'm on WinXPPro, SP2.

The only "back-conversion" is to save from Fin2007 as MusicXML and then open the MusicXML file in Fin2005.

--
David H. Bailey