At 08:43 AM 12/12/06 +0100, Daniel Wolf wrote:
>In any case, this is not a Garritan problem, this is a problem with
>sound samples. To get adequate quality, samples have to be large, and to
>play them in realtime, they have to sit in RAM.

Doesn't it depend on the implementation? I have used large arrangements
(more than 32 tracks) with dozens of massive soundfonts and patch changes
(including a 500MB piano font for a Yamaha grand) running with 512MB RAM
and a 1.6GHz processor (AMD, not Intel). Fast disks can load/unload or
stream these large samples in real time; I use 7200RPM disks with very low
access times. The only slowdown is processor demand for effects. The CPU
can't keep up with those. (But I also understand disk streaming of samples
from disk is patented by the Gigasampler folks.)

What is different about the Garritan arrangement that it can't load/unload?
Are the samples that large? Or don't they use (or not license) disk streaming?

Dennis