I know this is an old thread. However, I have been searching the web, and found some things that might be of interest. I found some interesting 8-bit font sets at the following web address:

http://www.lillians.de/fonts.html

They appear to be reasonably mapped (e.g., the dash/hyphen is not mapped to a japanese letter and the hard-space is mapped to a hard-space!) and, there appears to be the double character glyphs, such as kya also mapped and pre-formatted (e.g., Ki + ya ... Robert, as you can tell, Japanese is not a language I'm very fluent at all in, despite my ancestry).

Mostly, the project I'm working on is for a friend who has some lyrics in hiragana and katakana, with very little kanji, so these fonts fit my needs nicely. There is also a "Romaji" font which makes checking your work fairly easy. Still, I would have preferred that Finale support Unicode.

The web site is in German, and has some pretty nice stuff. (My German is better than my Japanese, although it's not very good.) All in all, it worked out pretty nicely, I think. Not too hard for a language idiot like me.

Robert Patterson wrote:
Just being picky: "Ki" + "ya" = Kya. Not "ka" as you stated. I'm following
this thread with interest even though I have nothing except banalities like
that to add to it.