At 3:32 PM +0100 1/6/07, dc wrote:

And then, I don't seem to find much in the reference books on these slurs. Where should the first bit end? Before the final barline of the first system? On it? After it?

I always aim for on the final barline. It has to be obvious that the slur continues.

I've just been advising my son, who is preparing an edition of a Bach aria which he will sing in a concert and perhaps keep in repertoire, about slurs. He was working from the NBA edition, which probably follows Bach's usage pretty closely. There are series of triplets slurred together with dots over them, played in unison by flute and solo violin. I advised him to keep the violin's bowing in mind so that stressed notes fall downbow and the triplets are all taken upbow and off the string, while the flute part, in order to match and sound the same, has to be slurred differently. Bach also apparently carried the slur consistently to the first of two tied notes rather than the last, and I advised him to change that because to a violinist every slur is a bowing instruction, and that situation leaves the desired bowing ambiguous. (Yes, I know that it's an acceptable house style for some publishers, but it's still ambiguous!!)

It helps to play both violin and flute! Next he wants me to bow another aria (not Bach). Hey, I'm his father and I work cheap!!!

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music