1)  Enter the first quarter note in the measure
2) Select the tuplet tool ...

Thank you Noel, this is exactly what I am doing, but it doesn't work.
If I follow the procedure you mention (which is also exactly what the manual
says), the tuplet tool lets me enter 5 notes (the first one included), so there
is one too short.
I am sorry for asking, but mabe you can just try this for yourself (I am doing
it in simple entry, Finale07a Windows).
Just to see what would happen, I told the tuplet tool that I want seven quarter
notes. Then it lets me enter six ones. When I go to the next measure, a quarter
rest appears on the last beat of the previous measure, so I have 6 quarter
notes (with a sign '7' above it) on three beats and a quarter rest.
Could this be a bug?
As for Hiro, of course I want people to understand what I am writing. This is
not an especially strange rythm at all (see Bartok Op. 18 for ex.). And I do
not want one measure in 6/4. I want the rythm in 4/4 with a '6' above it.
Best regards, Will