I'm not sure, but I think that hyphens in 2006a work as they do in 2004. In 2006b a new bug appeared, that produced two undesirable effects:

1. When syllables got closer than a certain amount, the hyphens were too far to the right. 2. Hyphens no longer disappeared when the syllables were moved very close together.

This bug is still present in 2007 (original version). MakeMusic tried to correct the bug in 2007a, but the cure was worse than the illness: as you noticed, hyphens now disappear when they shouldn't, and if there is a hyphen at the end of a system, it's too near to the syllable it follows.

If you don't need very tight lyric spacing, 2007 (original version) should produce acceptable results.