shirling & neueweise wrote:
[snip]

i can't do anything to avoid things like the violist who stuck a white cloth on the tip of his bow and waved it above his head like a flag during the single run-through dress rehearsal, but i want to try and avoid having materials i spent time and money on being trashed in the future, if i can.

any suggestions?

[snip]

In the future, if you will be dealing with any orchestras in Germany, ask them what size paper and what size staves and margins and inter-staff space they want, and keep the printed response with you at all times. If this situation arises again, be sure the composer also has a printed copy of the response with him/her so that if there are complaints, he/she can pull out the printed response and remind them that your parts/score match their desired specifications.

These horror stories that people have shared in response to this post are truly apalling. Makes me glad I don't have to deal with orchestras at that level of expertise and snobbery.

As to whether it's a "law" or not, I find it hard to believe that the German government would have wasted time enacting any law governing the size and other specifications of orchestra music. On the other hand, knowing what silly things get added into bills at the 11th hour, with the bills running to several thousand printed pages and no time for legislators to have read the entire bill before voting, the possibility is very real that there actually is such a law that was passed as part of a defense budget or school-reform law.

--
David H. Bailey