I can think of at least one example where practice followed theory, and that's
the case of
modal/Garlandian notation in the Parisian Organum repertory. The fact
is that the theorists wrote about the rhythmic modes and invented
mode 2 (short long) to balance mode 1 (long short), but at the time
of the theorizing, mode 2 really didn't exist. But after the
theorizing, music started being composed that *did* use mode 2,
because it had been revealed theoretically, and so was then used in
actual music. (Fenton)

Sure, and this happened in electronic music too. It happened so often, also in
Bartok, but this isn't actually my thesis, which I do not feel like explaining
again, since I did it yesterday already.