At 6:11 PM -0500 2/6/07, David W. Fenton wrote:

I believe Indiana's legislature voted to stop their strange situation
(they are so close to Central Time that they didn't go to DST, so,
basically the result was that they stayed on the same Eastern Time
clock, which means as a result flipped back and forth between having
the same time as Central Time and the same as Eastern Time). That's
the only weird one I know about.

That sounds like what I learned living in Indiana. The state isn't just "close" to Central Time; the dividing line passes right through the state, dividing it in two, instead of following a state boundary. In the '70s all the counties near Chicago stayed on Chicago time and all the counties near Louisville stayed on Louisville time, and you're right; the rest of us swung from one to the other. I'm actually very surprised that the state agreed to regularize it.

But it could get even worse. When my brother-in-law and his wife finished grad school at Indiana they became the experts on music for a hundred mile radius in a small Kentucky town at a very small Kentucky Jr. College. The next town to the west was on a different time, and somehow there were more splits such that four different times were observed in a very small area.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music