Music prep offices in LA do the following:

Parts are printed on 9.5" x 12.5" paper, single sheets (because 19" wide
paper doesn't fit thru large format laser printers).

Taping is always done on the outside of the fold.

We use 1/2" white paper tape. I use American Tape brand for around $2/roll.

Some people use a taping machine. I prefer to do it by laying the pages flat
next to each other with a 1mm space between them, then apply the tape from
the top down directly from the roll with a small bit (1/2 inch or so)
sticking over the top. Then I use a straight razor blade to cut the bottom
(directly from the roll) and the top small piece. This only takes a couple
of seconds per page when you get used to the technique.

Nobody that I know of uses scotch tape, masking tape or electrical tape. We
all use white paper tape.

Hope this helps,
Brian Williams