From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
John Howell
Sent: Tuesday, 20 February 2007 6:17 AM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: anachronisms (was spam [Finale] very TAN

At 8:55 AM -0800 2/19/07, Mark D Lew wrote:
>If filtering the 1950s setting through a 1970s sensibility is a
>purpose of the film, it's only a post-hoc attempt to make virtue of
>necessity, sort of like turning Olivia Newton-John's character into
>an Australian exchange student as a way to explain her unremovable
>accent.

An interesting discussion on several different levels, one of which
might be this.

In 1979 or 1980 I had just taken over a very fine college show
ensemble--well, it had been very fine, and in a few years became even
finer--and we decided to put together a "Grease" medley precisely
because the movie had such a strong impact.  I didn't know the stage
show, and I certainly didn't know the movie, either, so I had no
esthetic problems with the music.

What I DID have trouble with was my casting.  The boy I cast as the
lead was a skinny kid who happened to be a theater major and a very
good actor, but I got grief from almost the whole group because he
didn't look like an imitation John Travolta.  Looking back, I think
I'd do the same all over again, because I've since been involved with
15 annual summer musicals and I've seen first hand that even when
someone as arresting as Yul Bryner creates a role, other actors can
take that role and make it their own, but at the time I had very
little experience with musical theater.

And I learned over the years that to most teenagers the movie actors
ARE the characters, just as the arrangement of a pop song IS the
song.  And to them, imitation is not only the sincerest form of
flattery, it's the ONLY way a given song can be performed.  Of such
are Holiday Inn lounge bands built!

John

--
John & Susie Howell