On 30 Apr 2007 at 8:03, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2007, at 10:59 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > A Mac user tells me this PDF:
> >
> > http://www.dfenton.com/Collegium/Scores/Gibbons-LordGrantGrace.pdf
> >
> > shows up with weird characters. Generally, I've had no troubles
> > getting PDFs to her via my website, but this has happened once
> > before. She said it was some problem with the rests of something
> > (granted, it's a first draft, without proper editing -- I'm
> > arranging a 7-part texture for playing by five viols).
> >
> > Are Mac users seeing proper noteheads/rests?
>
> In Preview it looks fine to me. In Adobe Reader there is the usual on-
> screen weirdness of thick and thin staff lines, but that is onscreen
> only.

Strangely, I noticed that the line thickness problem is much worse in
standalone Adobe reader than it is in the plugin, where the lines
appear to be much better smoothed (though still not as good as the
previous version was).

> What version of Adobe Reader is she using? I understand older
> versions won't read PDF files correctly all the time.

I don't know that she's using Adobe Reader at all, since she's on an
OS X Mac.

> Another issue, did you create this PDF file on a computer other than
> the one that the Finale file was created on? There might be font
> issues if the version of the Finale fonts is not exactly the same.

I created it and made the PDF on my own PC (it was about a 2-hour
project, most of that being putting in the damned lyrics), just as I
have many, many times, and sent the same files to her.

In the end, she opened it in Photoshop, which rasterized it and
allowed her to view it, but I don't know why she wasn't seeing the
correct stuff otherwise.