Phil Daley wrote:
At 5/4/2007 06:48 AM, dhbailey wrote:

 >Yes, but that would also be true of John Adams

Wasn't he a president?

95 out of 100 would know him.

 >and Joan Tower and Corigliano

Who?

Those would get 1 out of 10,000 at most.

That was my point -- public anonymity doesn't have any bearing on a composer's ability. You seemed to suggest that John Cage's fame as a composer was suspect because 99 out of a 100 would ask "John who?" If I misinterpreted your original message I apologize.

Yes, there was a U.S. president named John Adams (actually 2, if you count John Quincy Adams as being a 'John Adams'), and 95 out of 100 U.S. citizens would likely recognize the president(s), but I doubt that they would recognize John Adams, the composer of "Nixon in China" and "Death of Klinghofer."

Anonymity among the general public doesn't make anybody any less of a composer, and so has no bearing on any comment that Cage wasn't much into composing.

--
David H. Bailey