To try to move this thread back to where it began (for me at least) which was the contention I made that symphony orchestras and opera companies were springing up all over America during the mid to late 19th century:

Regarding the title 'Opera House' you're absolutely right, David - but my intention was never to demonstrate that the ubiquitous 'Opera House' in nearly every small town of the 19th century was dedicated solely to opera or classical music - but that those venues (from the very small to the large) DID provide for a performance space which was given over to SOME "classical" music. And that various forms of amateur - through professional classical soloists, opera excerpts or full-length productions, chamber and orchestral concerts were presented in towns from the very small to the very large. My contention was - and remains: that in 19th century America, there was a thirst/hunger for 'sophisticated' entertainment (whether fully understood or no by the eager audience) all over the country, which was satisfied in many ways.

You've noted your classification as "popular" of some forms of musical arts I would consider to be along the lines of 'serious' music: (i.e. virtuosic pianism such as Liszt's, Gottschalk's, Jenny Lind's tours which contained a great deal of opera arias, cantata arias - in addition to popular song of the period) and so we simply have a disagreement on what is and is not 'classical.' So you and I may not agree on what is and is not art - or even non-pop music. But if you consider grand opera to be serious art music, then, please consider this:

And my apologies, but I REALLY do find this specific subject within music history absolutely fascinating:

I cited the book "Verdi at the Golden Gate: Opera and San Francisco in the Gold Rush Years" by George Martin (University of California Press, 1993, ISBN 0-520-08123-4) Only ONE city; only one composer's works/stats:

SanFrancisco's Population:        1850: 34,776          1860: 56,802

San Fran Opera Houses:            Seating Capacity:              Year Built:

1. Jenny Lind (1) 400 1850 Jenny Lind (2) 700 1851 Jenny Lind (3) 2,000 1851

2. Adelphi (1) 400 1850 Adelphi (2) 700 1851

3.Metropolitan (1) 2,000 1853 Metropolitan (2) 2,000 1861

4. American (1) 2,000 1851 American (2) 2,000 1854 American (3) 2,800 1859

5. San Francisco Hall (became:) 700 1852 Maguire's Opera House (1) 1,100 1856 Maguire's Opera House (2) 1,700 1858 Maguire's Opera House (3) 1,700 1859

By 1853 there were 5 large opera houses in San Francisco alone. A city with a population (at that time) of about 40,000. The theatres I've listed were burned down and rebuilt, or (in one case - sank two inches on opening night - built on landfill) but represent 5 separate theatres serving up - primarily in each theatre's case opera. And what operatic works? Grand opera. Fully-produced with full casts and full orchestra. Some of the reviews from the SF productions are amazing to me in their sophistication of this then-new music.

Fascinating to me - and looking just at the example of Verdi:

WORLD PREMIERE US PREMIERE SAN FRANCISCO PREMIERE
Nabucco
(as Nabucodonosor) Milan (Scala) 1842 NY (Astor Place Opera House) 1848 SF: (Metropolitan) 1854

I Lombardi Milan 1843 NY (Palmo's Opera House) 1847 SF (Met) 1855

Ernani Venice (Fenice) 1844 NY (Park Theatre) 1847 SF (Adelphi) 1851

I due Foscari Rome (Argentina) 1844 BOSTON: (Howard-Atheneum) 1847 SF (American) 1855

Attila Venice (Felice) 1846 NY: (Niblo's Garden) 1850 SF (American) 1859

Macbeth Florence (Pergola) 1847 NY: (Niblo's Garden) 1850 SF (Maguire's) 1862

I masnadieri LONDON (Her Maj's) 1847 NY: (Winter Garden) 1860 SF (Metropolitan) 1863

Luisa Miller Naples (San Carlo) 1849 PHILADELPHIA (Walnut Street) 1852 SF: (Met) 1863

Trovatore Rome (Apollo) 1853 NY (Academy of Music) 1855 SF: (Maguire's) 1859

Traviata Venice (Felice) 1853 NY (Academy of Music) 1856 SF: (American) 1859

(I won't waste more bandwidth, but the Verdi oeuvre continues with similar date relationships for his remaining output.)

As I first noted, symphony orchestras (as cited in a previous e-mail) and opera companies WERE springing up all over. Simply looking at the touring or location-based companies OR theatres presenting opera in NY, Boston, Philly, and then-small SF from the 1850's I've noted above, with ONLY Verdi premieres cited - I would hope - give flight to the erroneous premise that there were nearly no such productions in the country during the given years.

Sorry - again - for length, but I unfortunately type rapidly. And really - the evidence is fairly massive, as well as compelling.

Best,

Les

Les Marsden
Founding Music Director and Conductor,
The Mariposa Symphony Orchestra
Music and Mariposa?  Ahhhhh, Paradise!!!

http://arts-mariposa.org/symphony.html
http://www.geocities.com/~jbenz/lesbio.html

----- Original Message ----- From: David W. Fenton